BF1 shotguns: Analysis of Damage (2). Moving & Hipfiring

Original: BF1 shotguns: Analysis of Damage (2). Moving & Hipfiring, posted December 7th, 2016
Author: leptis

Previous thread: BF1 shotguns: Analysis of Damage

I prefer to tell this as a story because the result surprises. I will call “Dispersion” to the pellets distribution and “Spread” to the variation in the effective aiming line to avoid confusion.

When I computed the results of the ADS MOVING - HIPFIRING STATIONARY scenarios (both are equal: adding an spread of 0.4 degrees to every shotguns) and HIPFIRING MOVING (adding a spread of 0.6 degrees) I to be compared with the previous ADS STATIONARY I found this:

No significant changes. Almost overlapping lines. ???

First step: The simulator is wrong --> Full review = everything was correct.

Second Step: Analysis of concrete results. Like this (M 10 A - Comparison ADS STAT and HIP MOV):

As can be seen there is a change in the shape of the distribution that affects the peak frequency (but this is always within the body up to very far) and an extension of the distribution but without more significant changes in the distribution. Dotted vertical lines in distributions show the size of the body and head at 10 m.

As the differences are in the sensitivity range of the simulator (approximately 1% for 2,000 shots) and the tails of distribution are also very sensitive to the number of simulations, I have generated a serie of 20,000 shots to further analyze changes in distributions:

The blue line is the distribution (frequency of the “X” coordinate) of the dispersion of the pellets without spread, the green one is the distribution of the added spread and the red one the combined action of both. The difference between pellet dispersion (ADS STAT) and the combined curve (HIP MOV) has differences of the order of 2-3% (FACTORY) to 4% (HUNTER) in the tails of the distributions and in a small area. Black dotted lines show de difference.

A different thing would have happened if the spread of BF4 for HIP-MOV (1.75) had been used (blue line Spread =0.6, red line Spread=1.75):

The result is that there are no significant differences between the three scenarios and the curves shown at first were correct. Not important changes.

An example of numerical results of the average damage value can be seen here with the relative difference with ADS STATIONARY (at 50 m, where peak values are affected the differences are already sensitive):

CONCLUSION: In BF1, shotguns HIPFIRING and MOVING have a very small penalty that does not significantly influence the results.
Feel free to run…but remember that you need a very accurate aim!

NOTE: During these tests two things have been found:

• An analytical formulation for the uniformly distributed Spread that would allow to calculate the results of all the weapons (not only shotguns) analytically WITHOUT simulation. The formulation is related to the equation of the circle R ^ 2 = X ^ 2 + Y ^ 2.

• The combined value of spread and dispersion can be replaced by a virtual spread with extension (SPREAD + CONE) and an exponent of bias = 0.69 * (SPREAD / CONE) ^ - 0.147 (this can be refined). This can be useful for simulate Recoil Control (CIRCLE OF ACCURACY+SPREAD) or any combined action of spread.

But those are other (and tougher) issues…